Reflection

From this experience I learned how manipulative the media is towards teens and gullible people. Yet, as everyone is a little bit gullible, everyone is taken advantage of by the media in some way. I learned that from the day I opened my eyes as a newborn, I have been a target for advertisers. This awareness has affected my media consumption habits, not by the amount of time I spend interacting with the media, but rather by not being drawn in by ads. Now, when an ad catches my eye, I am more aware of the advertiser's tactics of persuasion and how they are trying to get me to want to buy a product or service. For example, one day, as I was scrolling through Instagram, I came across an ad for eco-friendly deodorant. I thought how genius it was to advocate for something eco-friendly, as the world is being destroyed by climate change. I realized how whatever is going on in the world is a perfect opportunity for advertisers to sell something that solves that problem. I realized how ridiculous it is to think that buying a deodorant will help address climate change, especially since the empty deodorant container will actually make climate change worse by adding to the problem of plastics pollution. It's important to have media literacy so that you can come to the realization that every product that is advertised to you is not something you genuinely need, it's an opportunity for those placing the product in your face to receive money and grow their company. Now that I am more aware of how much media I consume, almost to an unhealthy amount, and of how I consume and interpret it, it has allowed me to be able to set limits on myself, especially holding back on being pressured into buying a product or looking further into an ad, as I now decline how much I really need this 10 set packet of metal reusable straws polluting my Instagram feed. Considering how much the media is presented in everyone's lives now, I wonder how different or similar it will be in a few years. Especially for our next generation, possibly the generation of kids if I have any, in some way it saddens me knowing those younger than us that are now babies will grow up with cellphone in their hand learning to type before they get into elementary school. Along with their familiarity with cellphones will come their constant exposure to media. This makes me believe media literacy will be even more important for the next generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Violence in Video Games

Killing Eve, BBC show

Sports fans, not everyone cares what you're talking about